STEVIE NICKS | 24 KARAT GOLD

A collection of captivating self-portraits taken by Stevie Nicks in the mid-seventies have gone on show in New York. Taken on the road, at night, when feeing lonely and suffering from insomnia, these self-portraits are much more than just 'selfies'.

Elaborate compositions, flamboyant fashion and dreamy lighting make these much more of an artistic project of self expression. Something more in line with Cindy Sherman than Kim Kardashian.
"Some people don't sleep at night - I am one of those people. These pictures were taken long after everyone had gone to bed - I would begin after midnight and go until 4 or 5 in the morning. I stopped at sunrise - like a vampire... I never really thought anyone would ever see these pictures, they went into shoeboxes, where they remained. I did everything - I was the stylist, the makeup artist, the furniture mover, the lighting director. It was my joy - I was the model..." - Stevie Nicks


The polaroids, which lay forgotten about in a box until recently, have been reproduced especially for the exhibition, curated by Eurythmics guitarist Dave Stewart. Uncovered only whilst Stewart and Nicks collaborated on a new album of songs written during the same period but only recorded very recently.

The album and the exhibition go hand in hand in many ways. We're sure it would even be a great soundtrack when viewing the exhibition to get the full Stevie experience.


Stevie Nicks - 21 Karat Gold
Morrison Hotel Gallery SoHo, NYC 
October 12th - 31st, 2014 

www.NAVYLondon.com
xoxo

Share:

0 comments